Monday, September 5, 2011

Sewing and Knitting

A breakthrough has occurred between knitting and my brain this week. Somehow everything has just kind of 'clicked into place'. Yay!! Suddenly patterns make sense and I can now cable. Oh the possibilities.
Sheets ripped into 1 inch strips for knitting
I have been working on a pattern from Coco knits. The rag bath mat is a free pattern that uses ripped up strips of old bed sheets. A few years ago I crocheted strips of old sheets into bath mats and they turned out great. They are in almost weekly use and show no signs of wear and tear. They are super absorbent too. Knitting up the rags is much easier and quicker for me. The perfect first project for cabling. Gosh it is magic how the twist just appears with a simple step.
First cable project! 
When the knitting needles are taking a breather I have been finishing my shirt that I started ages ago. I have finally completed it. It is certainly not perfect but it satisfying to wear something that I have made. The shirt has ended up being a great fit and really comfortable to boot. Really happy to have this project crossed off the list. The pattern is  McCall's M5929. I used a VOGUE SEWING book for the parts I found tricky.
Finished shirt
There are a couple of other projects from the trusty machine but will have to photograph them. In the meantime I have cleaned the bathroom and kitchen with the cleaning paste I blogged about yesterday. Wow it is fabulous. I didn't have peppermint essential oil so added tea tree and lavender instead. Smells fresh and brings out the shine in stainless steel, tiles and porcelain. Making cleaning products is so rewarding..no going back now!

1 comment:

  1. Wow thrify fox - what an exciting post! So thrilled to see the gorgeous end product of this shirt I have been hearing about! It is so lovely - love the frills and wee puff shoulders. It does fit so well, and the neckline is really nice leading into those button! Also - great that the pattern reading has fallen into place! I can't imagine how difficult this must be (being a complete zilch knitter) but can totally imagine the crafting possibilities this must have opened for you now... can't wait too see more! Also, I also still use the rag bath mat you made several years ago now and it is doing very well - still as new actually. And its honestly the most absorbant bath mat I have EVER owned! Anyway, must get back to work - but great to see you latest blog. Sounds like you've been as busy as always. Hmmm I'm feeling inspired now to get my 'mend it pile' out tonight and maybe make some alterations to clothes I would otherwise not wear. Catch you soon. :-)

    ReplyDelete